Healthy hair looks like silk, but daily shampooing, styling and other procedures upset the balance of substances in the composition of the hair, its structure is damaged. Dehydrated hair becomes brittle, dry, and lack of protein and fat makes it dull and coarse. How can natural oils help?
The chemical composition of our hair is based on keratin protein. It is followed by water and fatty acids. In case of damage to the hair structure, natural oils are able to restore it, retain moisture, and fill it with the missing elements.
Types of oils to protect and restore hair
Hair oils are herbal and essential oils.
Vegetable oils for hair
Fatty oils that are obtained from the fruits of seeds and plants. They are composed of fats with added vitamins and minerals. Vegetable oils can be used for hair and scalp: they nourish, moisturize, strengthen, eliminate dandruff and itching.
Considered popular: castor, burdock, coconut, almond. They contain substances necessary for hair: tanning and resinous elements, protein compounds, carbohydrates.
Vegetable oils, in turn, are divided into two groups:
Penetrating. They fill the hair cortex, nourish, deeply moisturize and regenerate from the inside. These include: coconut oil, avocado, shea, olive, macadamia.
Superficial. They protect the hair from the outside, envelop it, retain natural moisture inside, and restore the lipid membrane. These are argan oil, jojoba, castor oil, grape seed oil.
An important detail: the penetrating oils take 5 to 14 hours to saturate the hair. It is useless to keep them for less time.
How vegetable oils help hair
- with dry hair save shea butter, coconut, grape seed, soy, sesame;
- for oily hair, macadamia oil, almond oil, burdock oil are suitable;
- damaged or very dry hair is restored with argan oil, cocoa, jojoba, avocado;
- prevention against loss: burdock, castor, mustard, sea buckthorn;
- with disturbing itching and dandruff: jojoba oil, avocado.
How to use correctly
Penetrating oils are good for heavily damaged hair as a mask. Apply to dry, unwashed hair, leave overnight. Then rinse thoroughly with shampoo and finish with conditioner. Do it as a course once a week for up to 2 months.
Surface oils can be used as a leave-in conditioner on clean, dry hair. They facilitate styling and reduce UV damage.
Before using the oils, it is advised to warm them up, in a warm form they are more active.
Essential oils for hair
Fragrant oils are obtained from essential oil plants; they differ from vegetable oils in their volatility, high concentration and overactiveness. Essential oils are used in combination with a fatty base. In their pure form, they can be added while brushing by dropping a couple of drops onto the comb.
How essential oils help hair
All essential oils are good for hair and scalp and have antibacterial, immunostimulating, anti-inflammatory, tonic, antioxidant effects.
- suitable for oily hair: oil of lemon, mint, cedar, ginger;
- dry hair will benefit from: oil of orange, mandarin, chamomile, rose, sandalwood;
- damaged hair will be restored: oil of geranium, rosewood, lavender;
- when dandruff appears, they will come to the rescue: oil of basil, tea tree, eucalyptus, chamomile;
- stimulate hair growth: oil of geranium, tea tree, cinnamon, eucalyptus.
How to use correctly
- When preparing a hair mask: add a couple of drops of oil to the mixture before applying.
- As a rinse: add to water or herbal decoction, after diluting the oil in a teaspoon of salt or soda.
- To enhance the effect of the conditioner: Pour a few drops into a serving.
How to choose hair oil
- Find out your hair type and make sure it is mentioned in the instructions for the oil.
- Choose the oil depending on the effect you would like to get.
- Look at the composition of the product: the product must be 100% natural without the addition of suspicious components and flavors.
It is believed that oils dry hair. Yes, the oil may not work, so it's important to choose your own. You can test dozens of oils until you find the right one. Be beautiful!